Thursday, September 17, 2009

Food for Thought

While I don't identify myself as a religious person, I like to think that I am a grateful person. I've been reading a lot of Michael Pollan lately and thinking a lot about the foods I eat and how they're affecting my health, my happiness, my world, my city, my neighborhood. I grew up saying grace before dinner but have lost that tradition over time. Pollan quotes Wendell Berry as inspiration for "eat[ing] more deliberately":
Eating with the fullest pleasure - pleasure, that is, that does not depend on ignorance - is perhaps the profoundest enactment of our connection with the world. In this pleasure we experience and celebrate our dependence and our gratitude, for we are living from mystery, from creatures we did not make and powers we cannot comprehend.


No comments:

Post a Comment